Jacques de Broekert, PsyD, LPC, LSATP, CSAC, DAC, MAC
Dr. Jacques de Broekert, PsyD, LPC, LSATP, CSAC, MAC, is a psychotherapist at the Wellspring Mind Body treatment program. He specializes in treating addictions ranging from alcohol, heroin, cocaine, shopping, sex, and pornography. With over 18 years experience as a clinician he has learned that it is never easy to find effective treatment for individual or co-occurring or co-morbid disorders and so he uses many different tools to treat individuals and their conditions. He works with individuals, couples, and groups and use Attachment Theory and Interpersonal Neurobiology theory as a treatment orientation. He is also trained in EMDR, and Gottman style treatment methods. He also performs interventions and believes that there are many ways to reach the very resistant client who has perhaps rejected help from loved ones or tried multiple times to succeed in treatment but failed. While in his doctoral program his research in the area of trauma induced addiction resulted in a significant shift in treatment of addiction away from the focus on the employment of a coping mechanisms (substances and behaviors) to one of treating the more important trauma source of the addiction.
Among my areas of expertise are:
Dr. de Broekert is a practical, interactive, emotionally focused therapist. His treatment approach is to provide support and practical feedback to help clients resolve current problems and long-standing patterns. He incorporates a blend of conventional and alternatives approaches, drawing upon a variety of styles and techniques to incorporate what will be most helpful for each client. He regularly incorporates meditation, inner visionary therapies, and faith based approaches to the practice depending upon client needs. With sensitivity and compassion, he works with each client to help them build on their strengths to identify and achieve life goals. In addition, he has conducted educational presentations to large and mid-sized audiences on topics ranging from addictions, healthy lifestyle choices, exercise, eating disorders, eating and dietary changes, sports psychology, motivational presentations, and healthy cooking.
He has been certified as a personal trainer since 1994 and has seen that physical well-being is very dependent upon having a strong and healthy body. He has always used exercise as a bridge to improving a client’s life. He began working as a fitness instructor in 1981 and has been incorporating fitness in his therapy model since beginning private practice.
He is very active in a variety of sports including martial arts, boxing, and tennis. He maintains a strict adherence to a philosophy of personal fitness leading to overall personal wellness. He believes that a healthy lifestyle is a reflection of how we live our lives so he firmly believes that fitness is a state of being both physically and mentally that leads to a healthy and balanced life.
- California Southern University, Doctor of Psychology
- George Mason University, Master of Education. Counseling and Development
- Georgia Southern University, Bachelor of Science, Recreation Administration
- Marymount University, Associate of Nursing (partial completion)
Licensure and Certifications:
- Licensed Professional Counselor, State of Virginia License #0701006390
- Licensed Professional Counselor, State of Texas License #81433
- Licensed Professional Counselor, State of Florida License #MH21344.
- Licensed Substance Abuse Treatment Practitioner, State of Virginia License #0718000363
- Certified Substance Abuse Counselor, State of Virginia License #0710102895
- Doctor Addiction Counselor, National Association of Forensic Counselors
- Master Addiction Counselor, National Association for Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselors
- Gottman Marriage Counseling, First Level Training, Gottman Institute
- EMDR Level One Training
Professional Activities and Memberships:
- National Association of Forensic Counselors, Professional Member
- National Association for Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselors, Professional Member